Phone Number: 02089 8 30444

Mobile Number: 07956 321 334

Who Is Responsible For A Gas Safety Check

  • Posted by:
  • Admin
  • Tags:
  • Gas Safety Check, gas safety regulations, gas safety inspection
  • Posted date:
  • 05-07-2022
Who Is Responsible For A Gas Safety Check

If you are a home owner, a tenant or a landlord, you will want to know if you require a gas safety inspection on your property. Find out more about who is responsible for gas safety check? 

 The installation and use of gas appliances are dangerous, with gas safety checks a legal requirement. If you are unsure if you must get a gas safety check at your property, keep reading this article. 


Who needs gas safety checks?

Gas Safety Checks are annual inspections that must be carried out on all gas appliances on a given property. The Gas Safety Regulations 1998 outline that the following must receive a review from a gas safe registered engineer:

  • Housing associations
  • Colleges & Boarding Schools
  • Hostels
  • Hotels & B&BS
  • Local Authorities

  • Many factors affect gas safety, but you should ensure a gas safe register is conducted at your hotel or accommodation, especially if no guests are there currently. You are legally required to make your current tenant secure and safe during the installation and use of all gas appliances. Be aware, this includes good record-keeping for your property's gas checks.

    What are the gas safety regulations for landlords?

    Gas Safety Responsibilities are essential for landlords to maintain, and the 1998 regulations provide legal duties to both lettings agents and landlords alike. 

    A landlord gas safety check involves checking and testing all gas appliances, pipework, chimneys and flues, ensuring they are safe for continued use. A health and safety executive must complete these gas safety checks at the property on an annual basis. This results in a certification being issued. 

    As a private landlord, you are legally responsible for ensuring that each gas appliance installed is registered and you complete gas safety records before new tenants move into the rental property.

    This is also for your own safety, as faulty appliances owned can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning and a breach of the tenancy agreement. All appliances should be regularly maintained as per your landlord responsibility. You should issue a carbon monoxide detector to tenants where fixed combustion appliances are found.

    During the Coronavirus outbreak, the rules allowed landlords to show they took reasonable steps to ensure the safety of their tenants during self-isolation. Those rules have now changed and require the gas safety record to be conducted annually.

    How often should I get a gas safety inspection?

    Every gas appliance or flue must be inspected annually and ensure gas safety requirements are met. When you move into a new property, you should check the gas safety certificate expiration date and ensure they are completed at least one year before the start of the lease date.

    If you fail to get this done, not only can you be fined, but the gas appliances can start producing poisonous fumes, leading to death in the property. Landlords can extend this gas safety record up to two months prior to the deadline but should not let it exceed the expiry date.

    Landlords should have a gas safety check performed within 12 months of the last check, which is one of the big misconceptions about renting a property. A letting agent should inform future tenants of the previous time this check was done, supplying them with the correct paperwork.

    The Steps Of A Gas Safety Check

    You cannot perform a gas safety check yourself, and a gas safe engineer must carry these out. While they may focus on reported areas, particular zones like the boiler, hot water cylinder, hob, oven, and other gas appliances will be the main priority. 

    A typical gas safety inspection will follow these steps:

  • A visual inspection from the gas engineer of all gas systems and appliances, checking for any gas leaks or visual repair work that needs to happen.
  • Record the gas rate and burner pressure 
  • Gas metre tightness check, ensuring no leaks
  • Clean the condense trap from excess liquids and waste.
  • Air supply/ventilation checks
  • Ensure no faulty equipment is present and all safety devices are working correctly.
  • Inspection of the flue system in the boiler and loft spaces where necessary.
  • Pressure vessel level check
  • Finally, provide you with gas safety certificates. 

    Your typical boiler and gas services you may receive are different to an annual gas safety check, and a valid gas safety record can only be issued after these inspections have been done.

    The engineer may have to gain access to certain areas of your house, but it is generally a minimal disruption exercise. Coverage of all appliances is essential to keep a record of your property safety and adhere to the law, so allow access to the engineer to stay safe. 

    Unless urgent repairs are needed to your gas supply or another gas emergency, a typical gas safety check will last approximately 30 minutes.

    This will take longer for larger properties to ensure everything is in proper working order and your legal requirement is being fulfilled. Always check with various gas companies before getting a quote and paying for an inspection. 

    At the end of the inspection, your registered engineer will provide you with the landlord gas safety record. This is sometimes referred to as a CP12 and shows your current gas safety record to future tenants.

    Current tenants should receive this record within 28 days of its completion. New tenancies should receive a further inspection regardless of the last one conducted, just for good measure. 

    Beyond acting as proof of inspection for the local council, this certificate shows the description and location of all gas appliances, the date of the check, and the property's address.

    Most importantly, a gas safety inspections outcome shows any defects or faults within the equipment and if they can lead to ill health. Future maintenance or safety checks may be required to fix the issue. 

    If Your Property Fails The Inspection

    During the inspection, the engineer will note any gas safety problems and mark down any appliances they deem unsafe in the checkbox. 

    A coding system has been established to ensure all appliances and flues are in a safe condition. All gas pipework and appliances are given one of the following ratings:

  • Immediately Dangerous (ID)
  • At-Risk (AR)
  • Not To Current Standards (NCS)

    If the immediately dangerous code has been issued, the relevant appliance requires repairs and replacing, as it poses a significant hazard to human life.

    It is a criminal offence not to report this at rental properties, and you can prosecute landlords for not adhering to this.

    The reasonable steps in this situation are to disconnect the gas supply and carry out all remedial work that needs to happen for the appliance to return to a safe condition. Your gas safe engineer will complete these steps for you and adhere to all safety regulations established by the local authorities.  

    Penalty For Not Completing An Inspection

    If you fail to comply with Gas Safety Regulations and complete an inspection, this is a serious criminal offence for neglecting your duty. For example, all landlords are liable for unlimited fines and six months of imprisonment in this situation.

    This is why it's important that you should be completing annual gas safety checks before the rental periods are up. If you smell gas within the property, have brought in new appliances, or install pipework, you should be record-keeping and get a gas safe engineer to inspect further.

    Landlords may choose to complete their own heating, boilers and plumbing repairs, but getting a gas inspection must be done by a professional. Carrying out such an inspection can lead to higher costs and potential injury.

    Do you need a plumber in Hackney or East London? 

    Contact us for plumbing services in Docklands, Waltham Forest, Tower Hamlets, Lewisham, Newham, Hackney, Southwark or Greenwich.